Wednesday, March 23, 2011

First Step, Capital Hill- Second Step, White House

The building of buildings, second to the White House. 

Two weeks ago, a lowly intern was privileged to accompany the Board of Directors of the International Association of Chiefs of Police to the Capital Building to help discuss law enforcement's legislative agenda. 

Yes, even law enforcement has to fight to be included on congressional budgets.  The 2011  presidential budget and congressional budget are yet to be decided- and technically the 2011 year began--- uhhhh 5 months ago!

So we are on the verge of a GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN! Last seen when Bill Clinton was hanging out with interns. 

Essentially, this means no mail from USPS or work considered "non essential".  So I was fortunate enough to help set up for this day, and at the 11th hour I was invited to attend!!! Yes, not all interns are just on the "set up" committee.  In preparation for this day, and within all the excitement and last minute details that were to be accomplished, the only thought worth thinking in the midst of the excitement was:

What in the world will I wear? This isn't my first congressional event, and hopefully not my last, but all you need is one major impression (and I was NOT intending on going naked to make that impression). 

Conservative but cute, Mrs. O as my guide, and a best friend with a limitless wardrobe, I channelled my inner Jackie and this was the result:
This picture does not do the outfit justice.  It was not your average black suit dress, but a warm wool black and white suit with a fashionable coller (which I was instructed that it had to be displayed, and thus my hair was back) designed by the wonderful Ann Taylor.  Mrs. O would have approved.  Thank you to Ms. Sarah for the outfit and Kate Spade bag! 

What would you wear for a day on the hill? More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment